Friends of A1A
Friends of A1A is a volunteer community sector organization funded primarily through the National Scenic Byways Program. The mission is to protect, promote, and enhance the outstanding scenic, historic, natural, recreational and cultural resources of the A1A Scenic & Historic Coastal Byway in a manner that provides a unique experience for visitors, and maintains for the communities along the byway an unhurried lifestyle and ambiance of “Old Florida.” The A1A Byway stretches 72 miles along the coastal corridor in St. Johns and Flagler Counties.
Major Accomplishments: received over $8 million in federal grant funds to:
- Improved parks with picnic areas, trails, fishing piers, dune crossovers, and parking
- Provided interpretive plans for the byway telling the “story” of what is special and unique about the corridor
- Created a website for informing the traveler of history and events of interest along the corridor
- Developed a full-color brochure for the byway with a map, points of interest, and information about the natural treasures for tourist development
How you can help – get involved
- Volunteer to help in grant writing, organizing special events, and representing the byway at community events
- Join the local Community Advocacy Groups as board members (now known as Corridor Management Entities) to oversee progress and advocate for preservation and improvement working as partners with local governments
- Contribute financially – individuals, groups, and corporations are invited to become a charter member of the “Crew of 72” – one member for each mile of the corridor
For more information, contact Sallie O’Hara, Byway Program Administrator – 904-540-0402 or the Volunteer Coordinator - 904-425-8055 ; **Ocean Shore Scenic A1A at Flagler Beach – Charlie Helm 386-439-1627 or Mary Ann Ruzecki 386-439-0404 **Scenic PRIDE A1A at the Hammock – Anne Wilson 386-445-2399 or George Harnden 386-446-4186;** Scenic & Historic A1A in St. Johns County – Barbara Jenness -904-823-0027 or Jim Netherton 904-461-4005.